DUI/OWI & Criminal Defense: (262) 565-8201 Divorce/Family Law & Bankruptcy: (262) 565-8200

Beloit Child Placement

Understanding Beloit Child Placement

Missimer Law, S.C. - Beloit Child Placement

 Beloit child placement is an area of divorce or paternity action that can be complex. Emotions and stress for those involved are usually at high levels. Hiring a qualified attorney, such as Missimer Family Law attorneys  to protect your rights and the best interest of your children is highly advisable. Beloit Child Placement cases and child placement cases throughout Rock County start with a temporary order for placement while the divorce or paternity action is pending. Normally during

A Guardian ad Litem (GAL) is an attorney who is appointed by a court to represent the interests of a party who may not be able to advocate for themselves (such as a minor or a possibly incompetent person) during the court process. This point of the litigation process includes discovery which helps the parent prove that they are the better person to have the majority (or primary) care of the child.) that hearing, the parents of the child are sent to mediation in an attempt for them to settle the placement of their child without involving further litigation.  If they fail to settle placement during mediation, a Guardian ad Litem (GAL) is assigned to the case to determine for the court what is the best interest of the child.

Rock County courts often will award 50/50 placement if both parents are living within the same school district as the child, and there is no reason to not make such an award.  Attorneys help clients determine what is and is not good cause to have the placement they desire.  Unfortunately, clients get one chance at this determination because after a judge makes their ruling that order cannot be altered in the two (2) years immediately following the order without a substantial change in circumstances, and the change being in the best interest of the child.  After that two (2) year period, it only requires the best interest of the child to make a change in placement. It is important to realize that since there has been a status quo that has gone on for two (2) years already, it is still not easy to justify major changes in child placement.   It is always a good idea to hire an attorney when children are involved.

For a free consultation, call Attorney Richard Missimer at  (262) 565-8200.